Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Skills

I've been mulling over skills recently, and while I haven't made any stunning breakthroughs, I have come to a personal realization.

Adventuring is a job.

Or, in other words, adventurers aren't blacksmiths. D&D skills, in my game, should reflect something characters are likely to need and be a skill they are likely to develop. Craft is not such a skill; neither is profession, or appraise, or forgery (well, maybe a little). Swim and Climb, yes

And skills should be simple. More complex than yes/no, perhaps, but still simple.

And, in a bit of tired sarcasm, I'd like to dedicate this post to the overly extended conversation that wouldn't quit while I was trying to write this, totally destroyed my train of thought. Better luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment